When it comes to food, I don’t venture out of my comfort zone very often. And when it comes to my Chipotle order, steak is always at the top of the list. There’s something so satisfying about the perfectly-seasoned, tender meat combined with pico and rice. Those bold zesty flavors are hard to replicate, but I’m confident I’ve finally gotten close to the authentic taste of Chipotle steak with this copycat recipe (or as close to copying it as humanly possible). It’s a fairly simple recipe, only requiring you to whip up a quick marinade and let the steak soak in all the juices for a couple of hours. Then, cook your meat stove top and toss it in a DIY burrito, bowl, or tacos. I have to admit, I’ve eaten my own steak dishes more often than I have gone to Chipotle in the passed few months, but I’ll let you judge for yourself. Here’s a look at a simple 10-part Copycat Chipotle Steak Recipe.
Copycat Chipotle Steak
|Serves||Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|4||2 hr 5 min||10 min||2 hr 15 min|
- 1 ½ lb top sirloin steak (1/2 inch thick)
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Adobo sauce
- 3 parts soy sauce
- 1 part vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Start by laying the steak(s) out on a cutting board.
- Liberally apply salt, pepper, and lime juice to both sides of the steak.
- In a small bowl, create Adobo sauce by adding 3 parts soy sauce and 1 part vinegar.
- Add cumin and paprika to bowl, then combine liquid and steak in a large ziplock bag.
- Marinate for two hours or more.
- Once you’re ready to cook the steak, add olive oil to a pan and heat on high.
- Add steak to pan and grill for about five minutes before flipping over.
- Grill for another five minutes, and check the center of the steak to ensure it is cooked as desired.
- Place steak on a clean heat-resistant cutting board, and slice into small pieces.
- Refrigerate leftovers and eat within three days.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15.1g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 4.6g||23%|
|Total Carbohydrate 2.2g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||7%|
|Total Sugars 0.2g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet.2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
- If you’d prefer, you can use skirt steak instead of sirloin.
- You can also grill your steak, rather than cook it stovetop. Set your grill or griddle at 350 degrees and cook for at least five minutes on each side.
- Feel free to add other seasonings and spices to your marinade. Our recipe is as close to the Chipotle steak recipe as it gets, but some people prefer to customize the flavors, which is totally fine with me. Some readers have said they like garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, and red pepper flakes in addition to the seasonings mentioned in our recipe.
- Now that you know how to make your own Chipotle steak at home, pair it with our Chipotle rice recipe to create a burrito bowl. Or, swap the steak out with our Copycat Chipotle Chicken recipe!